The following comprehensive system requirements are the recommended minimum computer specifications for taking courses online at Athens State University, where you will be using a number of integrated educational software delivery services, including Blackboard Learn™, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra™, Honorlock, Respondus LockDown Browser™, TechSmith Knowmia, among others.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- Macintosh OS X (10.12 or higher) or Windows PC (7 or higher)
- 4GB RAM (8GB RAM or more is highly recommended)
- 20GB of available hard-drive space
- Screen resolution set to 1280x1024
- Broadband/high-speed uninterrupted Internet access; minimum speed of 1.5 Mbps download, 750 Kbps upload
- Webcam, microphone and speakers
(a wearable headset is highly recommended)
Please note: Google Chromebook computers are not supported on some applications.
It is extremely important that you use a supported browser when using Blackboard Learn™ so that all course content and the course tools display properly and to avoid usability errors related to browser configurations. The very latest editions of Mozilla FireFox, and Google Chrome should work fine on most devices. We do not recommend using Apple Safari or Microsoft Edge, and Microsoft Internet Explorer is no longer a supported browser. We recommend installing both Chrome and Firefox browsers for use with our technologies, especially if one results in an error message. Please try using a different browser to see if you experience the same results before contacting help desk support.
Additional Browser Configuration Considerations
- Pop-up window blockers should be disabled, as they can conflict with online exams and assignments.
- The following domains should be added to your lists of trusted websites in your browsers:
Respondus LockDown Browser™
NOTICE: The Respondus LockDown Browser will be deprecated on Friday July 31, 2020. We will only be using Honorlock after that point. Please contact the Help Desk if you are uncertain how to proceed with Honorlock.
- If your instructors require the use of Respondus LockDown Browser™ for taking exams online, this software must be downloaded from our website and installed onto your computer prior to taking an online test. We recommend that you download and install Respondus LockDown Browser™ at the beginning of the semester, prior to taking your first online exam. Review the system requirements before installation, and refer to these instructions for how to take your exam using Respondus LockDown Browser™.
System Requirements for Additional Online Tools
Your instructors may elect to use a number of additional software services within your courses for online delivery. Please refer to the system requirements below for each of the services your instructors require you to access within your courses: