The following instructions will describe how to record a video in TechSmith Knowmia.
These instructions also assume that you have already downloaded and installed the TechSmith Capture on the computer you are using. If you have not installed it, please view the instructions at Installing TechSmith Capture to complete that part of the process.
- Log in to Knowmia @ athens.techsmithrelay.com
- Click Launch Capture to launch the video capture dialog.
- A new tab will open, click the Open button to open the Capture tool. *See guide to install Capture tool.
- Click the red Capture button.
- You will now select the part of your desktop to record. If you have a program open, Capture will automatically try to attach itself to various parts of the screen by hovering your mouse over them. Simply click the mouse when you have selected the window you want to record. If you want to record a custom segment, click and hold your mouse button and drag the square over the section you wish to record before releasing the button. You can also click the Fullscreen option at the top center of the screen if you want to record the entire desktop.
- Once you have selected the recording area, the recording bar will appear on your screen. This gives you a final opportunity to select a camera and microphone. Clicking the partial circle with an arrow on it to the left of the "X" will allow you to re-select the portion of the screen you want to record. When ready, click the red circle to record.
NOTE: It is recommended you make a quick five second video, which you can delete later, to test your audio.
- You will see the portion of the screen begin to countdown starting from 3. When it reaches zero, the recording will begin.
- Record your video. Anything within the selected area will record. When you have finished recording your video, click the gray square on the recording bar.
- After clicking the stop button, you will be given a preview of your recording. You may review this preview before proceeding. Clicking "Cancel" will abort the process and allow you to start over. Clicking "Upload" will send the video to Knowmia.
NOTE: You should be able to hear your recording in the Preview as well. If the sound did not record for the preview, check your microphone and redo the video. This is another reason to always do a small test video first.
- After clicking Upload to Knowmia, you will get a message that your file is being finalized. Do not close your browser or the recorder until you get the message stating “Upload Complete”. After the upload is completed, click OK to close the window.
- You can now find the video in your Knowmia Library and edit as necessary.