Zoom is a free to use instant messaging and web conferencing tool used by Athens State University for students, staff, and faculty to quickly and easily communicate back with one another. Zoom meetings (web conferencing) using free accounts are limited to the number of possible participants and the duration of the meeting. For specifics on these limitations, please see Basic (Free) Plan under the Zoom Pricing site. The free account is ideal for various situations including impromptu meetings, student advising, and virtual office hours.
You will need to create a Zoom account in order to be able to use the Instant Messenger tool. Once you have an account, to download and install the Instant Messaging tool, complete the following steps:
- Visit https://www.zoom.us and login to Zoom by clicking the “Sign In” button in the upper right hand corner of the screen. (see image below)
- Once logged in, click “Host a Meeting” in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Then select “With Video Off”. (see image below)
- When prompted, save the file. Then run the file to install the Zoom application on your computer.
- Zoom should automatically open upon installation. It may open up displaying the meeting scheduler or instantly place you in a meeting. If either of these opened on your computer, then the application has installed successfully. You can then close the program. (see image below)
- NOTE: If the program did not automatically open after installation, search for “Zoom” on your computer or an icon of a white video camera in a blue circle. Double click on that icon to launch the program.
- For future uses of the Zoom Instant Messenger tool, search for “Zoom” on your computer or an icon of a white video camera in a blue circle. Double click on that icon to launch the program. (see image below)