Zoom is a free to use instant messaging and web conferencing tool used by Athens State University for students, staff, and faculty to quickly and easily communicate back with one another. Zoom meetings (web conferencing) using free accounts are limited to the number of possible participants and the duration of the meeting. For specifics on these limitations, please see Basic (Free) Plan under the Zoom Pricing site. The free account is ideal for various situations including impromptu meetings, student advising, and virtual office hours.
You will need to have installed the Zoom Instant Messenger and located / added contacts in order to be able to effectively use custom groups. Once you have completed the above two requirements, you can create and manage custom groups by completing the following steps:
- Open the Zoom Instant Messenger tool and login. Once you have logged in, the tool should appear on the screen. (see image below)
- To view your groups and contacts, click “Contacts” on the bottom of the tool. (see image below)
- Create a custom group by clicking “Add a Group” at the top of the tool. (see image below)
- When prompted, leave the Group Type as “Private”, name the group, and enter AT LEAST TWO individuals in the invite members area. Once you done this, the “Create” button should become active. Click on this to create the group in your contact list. (see image below)
- Once you have created your group, you will see it appear in your contact list and in your chats list on the main Zoom messaging tool.