Add Speech-to-Text Captions
Automatically generate closed captions for your video with speech-to-text transcription.
1. Log into your Knowmia account.
2. Select the course folder
3. Open a video
4. On the Accessibility tab, click Add Caption Track.
5. Select the Speech-to-Text option and click Apply.
6. Knowmia starts the transcription.
7. When the caption transcription is complete, you will receive an email notification and the status changes to Ready For Edit on the Accessibility tab.
8. Click pencil icon and to Edit.
9. The caption editor opens. Continue with Edit Captions for ADA Compliance.
10. To publish the captions, click the Publish button in the caption editor.
11. Viewers can turn on or off the captions by clicking the caption button in the video player.
Manually Add Captions
Manually add custom captions to your video in the caption editor.
- On My Library tab, click to open the video to add captions.
- On the Accessibility tab, click Add Caption Track.
- Select the Custom option and click Apply.
- The caption editor opens. To enter a caption, click the Add Caption button.
- A new caption appears. Click the Replay button to replay the video segment. Enter the caption text.
- New captions are 5 seconds by default. To change the capture duration based on the audio, drag the end of the caption in or out.
- To add the next caption, click and drag on the timeline to the desired location and click the Add Caption button. Repeat steps 5-7 until captions are added to the entire video.
- Continue with Edit Captions for ADA Compliance.
Edit Captions for ADA Compliance
To check if your captions meet ADA compliance, click the ADA button in the caption editor.
TechSmith Knowmia reviews your captions for the following:
- The caption duration is between 3-7 seconds.
- Captions are always present.
- Captions are between 1 and 100 characters.
If any captions do not meet these standards, a exclamation point appears next to the rule. Click the rule to jump to the first caption to fix.
To learn more about manually editing captions, see Manually Add Captions.
- On My Library tab, click to open the media.
- On the Accessibility tab, click and select Publish.
Viewers can turn on or off the captions by clicking the caption button in the video player.