The following comprehensive system requirements are the recommended minimum computer specifications for taking courses online at Athens State University, where you will be using a number of integrated educational software delivery services, including Blackboard Learn™, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra™, Honorlock, TechSmith Knowmia, among others.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- macOS (10.14 Mojave or higher)or Windows 10
- 4GB RAM (8GB RAM or more is highly recommended)
- 20GB of available hard-drive space
- Screen resolution set to 1280x1024
- Broadband/high-speed uninterrupted Internet access; minimum speed of 1.5 Mbps download, 750 Kbps upload
- Webcam, microphone and speakers(a wearable headset is highly recommended)
- Google Chromebook computers are not supported on some applications.
- Apple Silicon Macs (M1 Processors) will require installation on Apple’s Rosetta Translation Environment in order to install/run programs that designed for Intel/AMD processors.
- Windows 10 in S Mode will not allow the installation of apps originating outside of the Microsoft Store. Read more about Windows 10 in S Mode here: Windows 10 in S mode FAQ (microsoft.com)
It is extremely important that you use a supported browser when using Blackboard Learn™ so that all course content and the course tools display properly and to avoid usability errors related to browser configurations.
The very latest editions of Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome should work fine on most devices. We do not recommend using Apple Safari or Microsoft Edge at this time. Microsoft Internet Explorer is no longer a supported browser.
We recommend installing both Chrome and Firefox browsers for use with our technologies, especially if one results in an error message. Please try using a different browser to see if you experience the same results before contacting help desk support.
Additional Browser Configuration Considerations
- Pop-up window blockers should be disabled, as they can conflict with online exams and assignments.
- The following domains should be added to your lists of trusted websites in your browsers:
System Requirements for Additional Online Tools
Your instructors may elect to use a number of additional software services within your courses for online delivery. Please refer to the system requirements below for each of the services your instructors require you to access within your courses: