The following comprehensive system requirements are the recommended minimum computer specifications for taking courses online at Athens State University, where you will be using a number of integrated educational software delivery services, including Canvas by Instructure, Honorlock, YuJa, Zoom among others.
Minimum Hardware and Operating System Requirements
- Windows 10 or 11 (version 22H2 or newer)
- Mac running macOS 11 or newer
- 4GB RAM (8GB RAM or more is highly recommended)
- 20GB of available hard-drive space
- Screen resolution set to 1280x1024
- Broadband/high-speed uninterrupted Internet access; minimum speed of 1.5 Mbps download, 750 Kbps upload
- 2GHz processor
- Webcam, microphone and speakers (a wearable headset is highly recommended)
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible.
Mobile Operating System
- iPhone running iOS 12 or newer
- iPad running iPadOS 12 or newer
- Android Phone or Tablet running Android 9 or newer
- On Mobile devices with screens smaller than 8”, the official Canvas app is recommended as Canvas does not officially support browsers on smaller screen sizes.
It is extremely important that you use the latest edition of supported browser when using Canvas by Instructure so that all course content and course tools display properly and to avoid usability errors related to browser configurations.
We recommend installing both Chrome and Firefox browsers for use with technologies, especially if one results in an error message. Safari is also supported. Please try using a different browser to see if you experience the same results before contacting help desk support.
- The following domains should be added to your lists of trusted websites in your browsers:
- Pop-up window blockers should be disabled, as they can conflict with online exams and assignments.
- Google Chromebook computers are not supported on some applications. Microsoft no longer supports Office apps in the Google Play store on Chromebooks as of 11/2021.
- Apple Silicon Macs (M1 & M2 Processors) will require installation on Apple’s Rosetta Translation Environment in order to install/run programs that designed for Intel/AMD processors.
- Windows 10 or 11 in S Mode will not allow the installation of apps originating outside of the Microsoft Store. Read more about Windows 10 and 11 in S Mode here: Windows 10 and 11 in S mode FAQ (microsoft.com)
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari/Chrome and iOS mobile)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Chrome/Firefox)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Chrome/Firefox)
- Android mobile: Talkback
System Requirements for Additional Online Tools
Your instructors may elect to use a number of additional software services within your courses. Please refer to the system requirements below for each of the services your instructors require you to access within your courses: