The U.S. Department of Education (USDE) has developed regulations that require institutions to determine student attendance.
If a student never begins attendance/participation in all courses, that student is ineligible for any grant or loan funds they received for those courses. The USDE requires the funds be returned to the appropriate Title IV programs, leaving the school liable for recovery of the funds from the student. In addition, USDE requires all institutions to have a method in place for taking/documenting attendance.
How Is Attendance/Participation Determined?
- A student is considered to have begun attendance in all of his or her classes if the student attends at least one day of class for each course. (FSA Handbook 3-43).
- A student is considered not to have begun attendance in any class in which the school is unable to document that attendance. (FSA Handbook 3-43).
NOTE: DO NOT USE GOOGLE CHROME WHEN ENTERING YOUR ATTENDANCE. Use either Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, or Edge (these browsers should work, but it is dependent on version and plugins, so switching between them may be required if one is not working properly)
Assuming that the above guidelines have been met, the following steps will describe how to complete Attendance Tracking:
- Go to the Athens State University Homepage at http://www.athens.edu. Click on "Athens State Online Login" towards the top of the screen.
- Login to Athens State Online using your employee number and password.
- Select the Faculty tab. Then, select "Faculty Attendance Tracking" (see the image below)
- Login again using your employee number and password (the same for accessing Athens State Online)
- Your current courses should appear in the course list (see image below). The steps are different for entering attendance in DL courses and Traditional courses. Please follow the links below to see how to enter attendance for the different courses:
NOTE: Courses the were marked Incomplete from previous semesters may still appear in your course list. You do not have to mark attendance in these courses.
Entering Attendance for Distance Learning Courses (UPDATED)
Entering Attendance for Traditional / Blended / Hybrid Courses