Faculty Attendance Tracker
The U.S. Department of Education (USDE) has developed regulations that require institutions to determine student attendance.
If a student never begins attendance/participation in all courses, that student is ineligible for any grant or loan funds they received for those courses. The USDE requires the funds be returned to the appropriate Title IV programs, leaving the school liable for recovery of the funds from the student. In addition, USDE requires all institutions to have a method in place for taking/documenting attendance.
How is Attendance/Participation Determined?
- A student is considered to have begun attendance in all of his or her classes if the student attends at least one day of class for each course. (FSA Handbook)
- A student is considered not to have begun attendance in any class in which the school is unable to document that attendance. (FSA Handbook)
Assuming that the above guidelines have been met, the following will describe how to complete Attendance Tracking:
- Login to Banner Self-Service using your Athens State ID# and PIN.
- Select the Faculty Services
- Click on Faculty Attendance Tracking.
- Follow the SSO Login Instructions.
- Faculty - Athens State University E-mail address and E-mail password
- Adjunct Faculty – Athens State University E-mail address and PIN
- Click Faculty Attendance Tracking
- Click the Take Roll button for the course in which you want to enter attendance.
- Check the circle by the appropriate date for each student.
NOTE*: Scroll down or select the Next Page button to locate all students.
- After checking attendance, click on the Class drop-down menu, and select Update CRN Last Date of Attendance tab.
NOTE*: Selecting the Update CRN Last Date of Attendance tab records any change or update made.
NOTE*: If at any time a student begins attending your course through an academically related activity, their attendance will need to be updated at that time. Students can begin attending after the first week of the course. If the student attended at any point during the course they should remain marked as beginning attendance, even if they stop participating in your course. Attendance should only be removed if logged in error.