Zoom is a free to use instant messaging and web conferencing tool used by Athens State University for students, staff, and faculty to quickly and easily communicate back with one another. Zoom meetings (web conferencing) using free accounts are limited to the number of possible participants and the duration of the meeting. For specifics on these limitations, please see Basic (Free) Plan under the Zoom Pricing site. The free account is ideal for various situations including impromptu meetings, student advising, and virtual office hours.
You will need to create a Zoom account and download the Zoom Client in order to be able to add students, instructors, support services, and other contacts at Athens State University to the instant messaging tool. Once you have installed the Zoom Client, manage your contact list by completing the following steps:
- Open the Zoom Client and login. Once you have logged in, the app should appear on the screen. (see image below)
- To add or locate a contact, click “Contacts” on the top of the app. (see image below)
- You will see two groups by default the first time you log in: My Contacts and All Contacts. You can add custom channels to more easily find classmates, colleagues, and other individuals at Athens State University. The default channels are described below.
- Favorites: You can add a current contact to your Favorites (a.k.a. Frequently Used) contacts by right clicking on their name and select “Add to Favorites”
- Other Contacts: These are contacts that you have manually added by either sending them a notice to be added or if they have sent you a notice to be added.
- Company Contacts: These are the individuals that are automatically populated by Zoom because they have an @athens.edu or @my.athens.edu email address.
- To locate an individual to chat with, scroll through the “Company Contacts” list, which is in alphabetical order by first name, to find the individual. If the list has too many contacts, you can use the search feature by typing in the individual’s name. (see image below)
- If an individual is not appearing, you will need to manually add them to your contact list. To do this, you will need to click the "+" icon at the top of the tool. (see image below)
- When prompted, enter the email address of the individual you wish to add and click “Add”. A notice will be sent to user the next time they launch Zoom Instant Messenger notifying them that you wish to add them. Once they accept, the contact will appear in the Other Contacts group.
- NOTE: Blackboard Courses, Emails from Advisors, and the Common Contacts in Zoom are common places to locate various email addresses to use when add Zoom contacts.